T-SQL Tuesday is a monthly blog party for the SQL Server community. It is the brainchild of Adam Machanic (b|t) and this month’s edition is hosted by Mala (b|t) who has asked us to write about “Gifts received this year.” One idea given to write about was “landing a job you never thought you would,” which is perfect for me.
If you’ve followed my story, you know that I’m pretty new to the DBA world. I’m a retired worship leader who’s lost his voice and went home to work side-by-side with his wife in a graphic/web design biz. As I watched that business go through an extended downturn, I attempted to add photography services and grossly underestimated how saturated the local market was. In desperation for meaningful employment I reached out to my friends for help and referrals.
Kevin stepped in and offered a trial period as a DBA apprentice at Dallas DBAs and I’ve never looked back.
Why has becoming a DBA been such an amazing gift? Here are a few of my top reasons.
- I get the opportunity to learn new things daily.
- I get challenged by this role a great deal. That makes jobs enjoyable for me.
- I get a steady income that brings stability and is allowing my family to build a new house in order to foster/adopt more kids.
- I get to work from home and share an office with my wife—my favorite person in the world.
- I get to work with my best friend, Kevin.
- I get to ride my bike way more often than if I worked out of the house.
- I got a new bike for Christmas as a direct result of this job.
- I get to ride bikes with Kevin.
- I get to continue working and serving at our church, which I love.
I could probably go on and on, and I fully expect being a DBA to continue to offer challenges and rewards in the year ahead!