Wow…its been a long time since something went so sideways I felt compelled to write about it….
But don’t mistake that for there not being any craziness!
ATTENTION ALL DEVELOPERS!!!!
If you are going to do a major upgrade to your very large database, please consider the following:
- YOU are responsible for your rollback plan. Nobody else.
- When you wake us up to rollback because your upgrade blew up, please give us a chance to get up to speed, before you start calling Directors and VPs.
- TAKE A BACKUP IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THE UPGRADE!!!!!
- Store that backup in a folder that does not have a cleanup/delete process attached to it
- Test this upgrade in your test/dev environment first.
- Don’t expect me to throw a teammate under the bus on a conference call.
- Don’t expect me to be on a conf call every 30 minutes…I’m busy cleaning this up.
Not only do you not get fries, you now owe me some! (Waffle fries from Chick-Fil-A will be just fine, thanks.)
That is all.